A structured approach to SEO keyword generation
Coming up with great search keywords can be difficult. Here’s a structured way to think about about search keywords in SEO and Google AdWords, that can be applied to almost any company or product.
Step 1: Compile five lists
- What kind of product is it: e.g.
plugin, platform, tool, service, creator, solution, SaaS.
- What is the output/results of the product: e.g.
- What are the other user benefits (outside the output): e.g.
flexible content creation,
- Partners – what other products does your product work with:
episerver interactive content.
- What competitors is this an alternative to:
[snapapp/zmags/ceros/flash/ion interactive/…etc] [competitor/alternative], e.g.
Step 2: Combine the lists together
Multiply the lists together (tip: use the Multiply option in the Boolean List Manipulator):
- Output only (tag: #output) e.g.
- Output * product type (tag*: #outputXproducttype) e.g.
interactive content tool
- Partner * output (tag: #partnerXoutput) e.g.
episerver interactive content
- Partner * benefit (tag: #partnerXbenefit) e.g.
episerver cheaper content
- Competitor (tag: #competitor) e.g.
*Tags are useful in SEO tools for grouping the keywords.
Step 3: Use the keyword lists
Feed the resulting keywords into an SEO tool or Google AdWords.